Dark Renaissance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A world of magic and technology at war until mutually assured destruction forced an uneasy peace.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Staff Members
In for a penny (open) Knightbutton In for a penny (open) Violettebutton In for a penny (open) Onyxbutton In for a penny (open) Azulebutton In for a penny (open) Alabasterbutton
Latest topics
» Noveltellus - IF: Dragon bonding, multi-species
In for a penny (open) EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 7:22 pm by Guest

» Dalibor Weyr: DRoP Semi-canon [AU] [JCINK]
In for a penny (open) EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 pm by Guest

» The Twilight RPG
In for a penny (open) EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 4:54 am by Guest

» Bleach Nightlands RP
In for a penny (open) EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 7:20 pm by Guest

» Naruto: Ripple Effect
In for a penny (open) EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 4:03 pm by Guest

» Race Proposition: Succubi
In for a penny (open) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 8:45 pm by Guest

» Race Proposition
In for a penny (open) EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 2:22 am by Guest

» Abaddon City
In for a penny (open) EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 am by Guest

» BTACD! Free Form Fantasy
In for a penny (open) EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 pm by Guest

Affiliates
Our Buttons!

In for a penny (open) Cityruinssdraffiliate_zps7ca35b23
In for a penny (open) Draffiliate_zpse49dd83c

Our Affiliates!

In for a penny (open) Buttonsmallcopy_zps63c9a7d5
Vote for Us!

RPG-D

Top Sites Lists

In for a penny (open)

Go down 
AuthorMessage

In for a penny (open) Empty
PostSubject: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 am

Normally for people, a phone call in the middle of the night is the precursor to terrible news of something that has happened. For those in Solomon's line of work it was common enough not to be to concerned about. Reaching toward the small stand next to his futon, the thief shook his head enough that he could think semi-coherent thoughts.

"Styx." He yawned into the phone, listening before a couple heartbeats later a familiar voice answered.

"Hey, glad to hear your in. I need a favor." That would be Delvin, which was good because that meant Solomon wouldn't have to worry about being shot when he went to collect his pay for this 'favor'. The bad side was that Delvin sometimes left out important little details when he asked favors. Details that usually end up with someone trying to shoot at him, like on the last job he had gone on.

"5k minimum Delvin, 10 if this has anything to do with your little side market." The black market of Librium had a recent upswing on demand for Alchemical Enhancement Potions. Want to be strong as an Ox, Fast as a cheetah, the endurance of a bear? Well there are potions for that. Strictly controlled, monitored, and taxed potions for all those things. Because in the wrong hands those enhancements make it easier for criminals to get the upper hand on those meant to enforce the law. And, on a side note, if the potion is done wrong it can have horrible side affects on the person taking it. Still, there was a market for them and so the the market provided.

"Oh come on Solomon, you haven't even heard the job yet. This isn't going to end like last time. It's a simple courier run. Drop off a payment and pick up the merchandise." At that the thief sat up in his bed.

"You woke me for a courier run?" He asked with a dry tone to his voice as he rubbed his eyes with his hand.

"My guy got pinched and the rest of my crew is busy with.... stuff."

Solomon sighed and dropped his hand. "When is the drop?"

"It's in three hours, and I can't trust just anyone with this many creds." Delvin had that painfully, cheerful tone full of hope. "I'll pay 2,000, it's just a drop after all. It's more then fair Styx."

"Fine Delvin, but if I get shot at once this trip it's going to be 5k. I remember how the last job was suppose to be simple as well." There was a moment's hesitation before Solomon got a muttered agreement. After some quick details about the when and where he got up and started to get ready.

Three hours later at Two in the morning.

A bar was not the usual place Solomon liked for a meeting, but then he hadn't set this one up. He had grabbed a table near the back of the bar and put the backpack he had brought underneath. Right now all it had in it were some magazines in a plastic bag with about the right amount of weight for the 100,000 in credits he was suppose to be bringing to this meeting.

The money was actually stored in the little pocket he could create outside of time in the spot usually reserved for his climbing rope and change of cloths. When the correct person showed up he could 'push' the magazines into his pocket and pull out the bag of money to show them. Handy little trick that he had kept hidden had saved him having to explain loosing important items before. And the package he was suppose to pick up wouldn't be much heavier then the money, so he should be able to store it in the same way.

Now was just the wait, and hopefully nothing unexpected would happen.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 am

As he waited, Solomon got a beer and glanced around the bar ideally. He hesitated a couple of moments on a few of the women as he glanced their way. Most were about average for what you would expect for a dive bar in the middle of the night. A couple of working girls looking for their next John, one that looked like she was corp down here to slum for the evening, and then there was that one. She was quite attractive really, once you looked past the large assortment of weapons. Maybe she hunted Rift Beasts or something for a living, because most didn't carry that much hardware on them just to get a drink. Sipping his beer, Styx shook his head and sighed. He was here on business and that came first.

A moment later a chill ran down his spine while it felt like the room had dropped in temperature. The thief sat up a moment and glanced at his watch which had a thermometer built in so he could get a rough idea of about how stressed his body was when he used his magic. The device blinked that he was about 102 and that caused him to frown. What was even more surprising was that it started to drop back down right away. In a manner of seconds he was back down to 100 degrees and everything felt normal again.

That last bit puzzled Styx for a moment, however the thief didn't have long to consider as he heard someone come in. Two of them he recognized right away and grinned widely as he raised an arm. Roche and Mez-Finn grinned back and started walking over as soon as they saw Solomon. The third, some kid who probably was a bit under the drinking age followed the two after a moment.

Some of the other patrons at the bar stared at the Human and Redcap leading the three. Most of the time Humans and Others didn't mix. All the bad blood between the races made it to hard for most to put aside their differences. This was especially true for something like a Redcap. Blood red eyes, large taloned hands, and a mouth full of sharp teeth tended to make people too scared to approach them.

And in truth Redcaps were dangerous. Their nasty tempers and few qualms about killing had made it into quite a number of legends, along with their superior speed and strength. However, like most of legends, they didn't tell the whole story. Sure they were vicious to their enemies, but they were very loyal to their friends. And while they did like violence more then some, it wasn't as bad as the legends said. Even their infamous cap, from which they got their name, didn't really get dipped in fresh blood each day and Redcaps didn't die when it dried out.

A Redcap, when they make their first kill in battle, will perform a coming of age ritual and dye their cap with the blood of that kill. The enchantment preserves the color and smell of the fresh blood and gives the cap a slightly wet look that doesn't fade until the Redap dies. Of course, many still see it as a barbaric ritual, but it is something all Redcaps do. And since Mez-Finn did fight in the war on the Other's side, the blood used for his cap probably was human blood.

All in all Mez-Finn was a solid part of his group and someone that was alright to hang out with on downtime. Roche, the human of the pair, made sure that no one pushed the Other too far generally. When it did come down to a fight the two had each others backs and it had kept them alive and well.

"Well I didn't expect you to be here Styx." Roche said as he plopped down into a seat across from Solomon. "You join Delvin's crew or something?"

"Nah, still all by my lonesome Roche. Just doing a friend a favor." Styx chuckled and nodded to Mez-Finn "You still hanging around with this loser here? Thought you would have found something better by now." Mez-Finn hissed softly, his version of a chuckle. As the third member of the group walked up Solomon gave him a nod. "So who is this?"

"Will here is the newest member of our gang. Me and Mez are showing him the ropes. Figure getting his feet wet on something easy like this would be good for him." Solomon nodded as Mez and Will sat down at the table.

"Lets get some beers and get down to business."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:48 am

Beer was delivered to their table and Styx reached down toward the backpack. Originally he had been intending to just store the magazines away when he got ready to make the exchange. But this was Roche and Mez here, they could appreciate the magazines he had gotten on the way. He had intended to read them later, but he could always pick up another set on the way back to Delvin.

As he pulled the bag with the magazines out with one hand he let his other stay in the bag as his magic came forward about the time Gabby was sending out her second pulse. It probably would feel strange to her, the raw touch of Chaos twisting a hole into the space between seconds where Styx was reaching. Will, the new kid, also had his own little talent of making small amounts of electricity. Nothing major yet, but with time and training the kid might be able to do some impressive thing. Mez on the other had was an Other, a creature of magic to the bone. Gabby would defiantly be able to tell he was something formidable.

"Picked up a few mags on the way here." Solomon said as he tossed over the bag with the publications in them. "Nice article about the new ley line racer, the things look sweet and from the sounds of the article its going to try and break the old record for a mass produced model." The racer looked something akin to a bobsled with a mana powered engine on the back. The thing skimmed on the upper layer of a ley line. Of course, most of the ley lines in the city were tapped and contained, making the racers almost useless in the city. But out in the wastes people could set up sites for a competition where the racers could go in excess of 200 miles per hour. It was really something to see.

"Got a few others in the bag you might like as well." Solomon slid the backpack across the floor with his foot to Roche and the man picked it up to peak inside. Of course after Solomon had cast that spell, there was a large amount of money in the bag.

"Well I'll say. Hey, can I borrow these?" He lifted the magazines and the bag he was now holding closed. Solomon nodded and Roche grinned as he stuffed the magazines back into the backpack.

"And since your going to see Delvin again sooner then I will can you drop this off for me?" He reached into an inner coat pocket and pulled out a small box which he handed over to the thief. Taking the box, Solomon stuck it in his own coat. When it was out of sight he pushed it into the timeless void where he stored most of what he didn't want to be caught carrying.

"Now that that's done, time to order some shots. Will here just jacked his first car earlier today. Did it beautifully too, not a soul noticed him." Will grinned sheepishly as Roche gave him a slap on the back. Solomon grinned and waved down one of the bar tenders for the celebratory shots. And, on a whim, quietly bought the heavily armed beauty another round since she had had that last one for a while now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Styx noted that his drink was being delivered to the lovely lass and looked over. His eyes caught Gabby's and he gave her an easy grin as he raised his own beer. After a moment his attention was drawn back to his own table as the shots were being delivered. Roche led the salute and they all laughed as Will coughed at the burning alcohol. Another round was ordered and another, the four chatting cheerfully all the while about whatever came to mind. It wasn't long before Will was wavering in his seat and the three more experienced drinkers passed around amused grins.

Well if you gentlemen will excuse me. Solomon rose as he spoke, a pleasant buzz running through his head. I'm going to say hi to a young and pretty brunette.

Roche and Mez shared a glance before Mez spoke.I'm predicting a crash and burn. He said in a harsh, guttural tone which you had to know his normal voice to understand he was teasing.

I'm thinking we're going to see if Styx here can dodge bullets. Lets watch the fireworks. Roche answered with a small laugh.

Indeed, lets enjoy the show. Mez's pointy teeth glistened as he grinned widely.

Ha-haha-haha you guys. I'll have you know that by the time I'm done... I'll be politely asked to leave her alone. Solomon chuckled softly as he turned away from the table and began making his way over to Gabby.

By the time he got to her table he had relaxed into an easy grin. He was nicely buzzed, not too bad to mess with his head or his movements. He had the package and he would get it to Delvin before the morning light came. He had a good chat with friends, old and new, and now he was going to see if he could get the name and number of a beautiful lady.

"While this is a rougher neighborhood, I wouldn't think one would need quite so many weapons to stay safe around here. Are those for all the guys that didn't get the idea while you were beating them off with a stick?As he spoke he motioned to a chair, silently asking if he could take a seat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:51 am

Most of the time, any line you say in a bar is going to sound cheesy, it was a fact of life. When you tried to pick up a woman in a bar, they usually had a pretty good idea of what your trying to do. The best you can hope for is a smile, or better yet a laugh, and a breaking of the ice. He noticed Gabby's grin as he approached and chuckled a little as she teased him by making him wait. She apparently wanted to dance the dance for a while, even if they went separate ways when they left the table. That was alright, part of what made life fun. You never knew what was around the next corner till you got there, and if you never looked you never knew. Well then, I guess I'll have to be on my best behavior then. My name is Solomon, most people know me as Styx around here. He took the graciously given seat and relaxed into it.

"You must be new in town, I haven't seen large numbers of men fallen prey to your refusal." That and people would talk about someone so heavily armed was seen around. Especially if she was a mercenary or bounty hunter if her comment about being paid to use her weapons were true. Styx had a few friends and contacts in the merc business and the underworld kept an eye out for any bounty hunter that made an impression by a big enough catch or a lot of smaller ones. She might be a new bounty hunter, but she wore those weapons too well for her not to be use too them. Finally there was the... feel that she was new. She knew her was around the rough crowd sure enough, but not the rough crowd here.

"If I may be so bold, I'm going to guess your a mercenary. Those weapons fit you too well for them to be just decoration." He grinned a little as he spoke. Maybe he was completely wrong, but then she would probably correct him if he was off base. Things might even get too interesting if his comments were somehow taken poorly. "So you in town looking for work or are you just finishing up a job that brought you here?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 7:48 am

Solomon was smiling, but it had dimmed a little as he listened to Gabby talk. It was just a little... off. The words and actions were right, but the timing between the two wasn't right for them to be genuine. She was putting up an act. For what purpose Solomon didn't know. Lots of reasons to put up an act really. Even for flirting and further the way things were going. He knew some that didn't like to be alone at night, or just settled for whoever came next in the line. He had picked up a couple of one night stands like that, he had been the one being picked up for a one night stand as well. And he had seen the other little signs when he had been rejected by women before, again and again. After all, when you play the game you won or lost maybe. But at least sometimes it felt like you weren't alone for a while.

"Yeah they'll do that. They got a pretty go eye for the situation." Solomon paused as he took a sip of his drink. "Not really your type, am I? You did pretty well with your act, but you were a little to stiff with it and trying too hard. Don't know why you were acting, not really my concern. If you feel like sharing, I'll listen for a spell. If not, well I'm sure we can find something to chat about till its time to go. Or if you want we can drop this bit here and go our separate ways. If the girl was being serious about trying to pick up a guy for whatever reason, there were plenty of others out there. Being to rebound or the comfort toy wasn't really what he wanted now.

"And, just a suggestion, but if your really looking to pick up someone, be yourself. Yeah you won't appeal to everyone, but if they can't take you as you are, Fuck them. He offered Gabby a grin.

Not literally of course. The thief joked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 7:33 am

Styx blinked and raised a brow. {Well sorry for being honest.} He thought to himself as she got up to leave. Her statement left him a little confused. He got that she might not like being called out for the act, but where was the 'hate' so to say? And vanilla, he was defiantly not vanilla. And man she bugged out fast after...

"Ah hell..." Styx muttered to himself as he stood and walked back to the table with his friends. Roche and Mez were laughing quietly.

Man Styx, we knew she was out of your league, but what did you say to get her to bolt like that." Roche chuckled as he spoke and gently poked the young Will who seemed to have passed out on the table.

"Drew attention to the fact that she was laying down an act. Then as soon as she learned she was found out she bolted." The laughter from his friends died down slowly.

"Think she's a cop?" Mez rasped, subtly checking the knives strapped to his wrists under his coat.

"Maybe... give Jenny a call, she's still got that car I think. Get her to take you back to your place. When you get a chance have some people ask if the Librium police or the Terra Guard got a new Undercover. Spread the girl's description too, maybe someone knows something. I'll ask Delvin to do the same and keep an eye out. After he had finished speaking, Styx finished his beer in one go and pulled out his wallet.

"So what are you going to do Styx?" Roche asked as the thief laid out the money for his drinks.

"I think I'll take the scenic rout. I'm going to go fishing and see what I catch. After that the thief walked calmly out into the night, whistling a small tune as he walked alone through dark streets. Oh there were still people out and about, but they were few and far between. Even with all these people, things still hunted the streets of the city. Sometimes they even hunted here because the streets were so full of people. Not many walked alone in this town after dark. And few of those could claim to have done that as long as Styx had. He had been here since the place was still being built.

This was his city, and he knew it well. Now to see if he had something tagging along behind. Fishing was so much more interesting when you yourself were the bait.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:34 am

((OoC: No worries, if an NPC isn't mentioned in my Bio then feel free to kill them without asking. And I sent a PM to Knight to add Delvin to the notes section of my Bio so he's the only one you'll have to ask about in the near future. Unless Gabby goes after Styx's family. >.>))

Will had no chance of targeting his overflowing magic or even resisting Gabby's supercharging. The young man was so drunk he barely even realized something was wrong before his own magic ripped his body asunder. Of the four in the car, only Mez-Finn had the senses, the reflexes, and the strength to escape instant death. The Redcap kicked open the car door on his side without bothering with the latch and dived out as the lighting flashed fried the others in the car. And even with getting out of the ground zero of the attack, Mez was still launched a good 30 feet to land smoking where he was partially cooked by the lightning. Only battle hardened instinct and training from the war allowed the supernaturally tough Redcap to get up and stumble into cover as he tried to figure out what just happened.

Off in the distance, having had about fifteen minutes to walk since leaving the bar, Styx's head jerked around as lightning lanced up into the sky. The unnatural lightning continued for a few seconds, marking the source for all of the city. He doubted that anyone could have missed the brief light show unless they were inside at the time. The crash of thunder wasn't far behind the light and the booms were so closed it was a deafening crescendo in Solomon's ears. It only took a few brief calculations to figure out that the lightning had come from right near the bar where he had left his friends. Styx's face grew hard as he came to the only conclusion that he could with what he had seen. None of his friends had an ability like that, they were probably dead. And his gut was telling him that the girl he had met and suspected of something was probably to blame. With out a word he turned and began to move in an easy run.

He wasn't trying to outrun the girl, if she had magic like that she could probably sense auras or something. It had to be a really powerful magic user to create a lightning show like that and survive. And that girl didn't look like the type to kill herself to take out a few slum-dogs. That meant she was probably coming after him next. She killed his friends and now she was probably going to come after him. She wouldn't live through the night.

He wasn't quick to violence, a lot of people would tell you that. He made sure to protect his own life and such, but he did his best to use words and guile first. But that Bitch had killed his friends. He wasn't going to let that pass. But if she was that powerful he didn't want to take her on in a strait-on fight. He would have to fight dirty to win. With that in mind he turned and began heading into the section of the city known to all as The Gallows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 3:54 pm

It was about a mile to Solomon's destination where he would deal with the person that had murdered his friends if they were following him. He kept a steady pace, eating up ground quickly as it seemed like fewer and fewer people lived in the area he was traveling. In almost no time at all the edge of his destination came into view. He could see a single, almost skeletal set of remains hanging by its neck form a lamp post. As he moved closer, the head of the almost skeleton turned and spoke.

"A warning to all... oh, it's you harbinger. Does the hunter realize that it comes to the river? I wonder if they have coin to pay the ferryman." The corpse cackled loudly as the thief passed without paying attention. Nor did Solomon pay attention to the smell of rotting meat in the air. He now slowed his step, lessening the sound of his boots thudding into the payment. He would have to be quiet now that he was in the Gallows.

This place was a monument to how little those in the upper crust of the city cared for the people of the slums. It had come into being about nine years ago when there had been riots in the streets over food shortages. The devastation of the Enlightenment made getting enough food for everyone flooding the new city and then someone went and burned one of the huge shipments of food needed to keep millions of people from starving. The results were about what you would suspect when a large number of people realized that there wouldn't be nearly enough to go around despite the Terran Guards best attempts to ration out what came in fairly. And when about one in four people in the city had some sort of power, things got out of hand rather quickly.

At some point during the riots a rift had opened in this section of the town. Almost everything in this section of the city had died at the time when those things came through. Now normally the Terran Guard and the police would have descended on a rift opening like flies on honey. But during the riots, multiple rifts had opened up in Librium and there was only so much the guardians of the city could do while both the riots and the rifts tore the new city apart. So when the rift finally closed in the Gallows, an army of those things had already come through and made this section of the city their home. Any attempts at removing the creatures from the city had met with disaster and finally the powers that be decided to just abandon this section of the city.

Styx froze when he heard a soft clicking on the pavement, the sound that one of those creatures was up and about. For several heartbeats he held his breath, listening to hear if the thing was coming closer or moving away. He let out a silent sigh of relief when he note the sound receding. He would have to get out of the streets soon, those things might have been woken up by the sound of thunder that had washed over the city. Looking around at the different ruined buildings around him, Solomon saw one that was relatively intact.

Moving up to the front door of the building, Solomon checked the knob and found the door was locked. Pulling out his picks from his timeless pocket, the thief worked quickly to open the door. Before going in, he noticed a glass bottle on the ground near the door and an old open can of something. Grabbing the two and a few small pebbles, Solomon moved through the door and shut it. After he was inside the ruin building and had the door locked behind him, he put the glass bottle on top of the handle so that anyone trying the door would cause the bottle to fall. After that, Solomon began to move up the partially ruined building, still taking care to move silently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 7:37 am

As soon as he was in the building, Solomon made his way to the third floor. Looking around one of the rooms at the back, he found on that had a section of the wall gone and a still solid metal pipe showing in the wall. He reached into his storage space and pulled out the thirty meters of rope he had stored in it and then cursed as he remembered he had taken that out to make room for the money he had been carrying and the items he was carrying now. A quick hunt around the building and he found some old sheets that he managed to tie together. When he looped it around the pipe, he did so so both ends of his 'rope' hung out the window at the back. It only went down to the top of the first story, but he could drop that far relatively quietly. And when he did go out the window he could pull the sheets after him so a person couldn't find his trail.

After that was done, he quickly gathered as much of the burnable rubbish he could find and put it in a place where the fire he was making wouldn't spread to the whole building. Taking the can he had picked up, he set it in the fire to let the metal heat up. Moving to the top of the stairwell where he knew sound would carry he waited, pulling two of the speed loaders he had for his revolver out of an inner pocket in his jacket and emptying the bullets into his hand.

When the glass bottle broke, it told Styx that he had indeed been followed. And when he got a headache and chill like the one he had gotten in the bar he figured it had to be the girl he had seen. He moved as quickly and quietly as he could back to the fire he had built and dumped the twelve .357 magnum rounds from his hand into the can. He then moved as quickly as he could with stealth to the bed sheet rope and dropped down out of the back of the building. Even as he was going down, he heard the bang of the first heating round go off. It wasn't long after that that the remaining eleven detonated as well.

Gabby had sent a pulse of magic into the surrounding area and did find out that Styx was on the third floor of a four story plus attic building. But she also would have sensed, depending on how far out she sent the pulse, a few hundred magical beings about the size of medium sized dogs. These creatures were attracted to sound, which the broken bottle and the bullets provided along with a distraction. They also had a nasty habit of being driven into a frenzy when confronted by large pulses of magic and tearing into anything near them, which included others of their kind. And right now they would be making their way into the building that Gabby was now stalking through.

Most mages, when confronted by hoards of small, but deadly opponents, would conserve their magic and use low level spells to take out the creatures because the bigger ones wouldn't catch them all probably. But the mana level of the bigger spells would work the creatures into such a frenzy that they would end up killing each other if the mage wasn't the closest thing. And those big spells could be used to wipe out the creatures closest to you if you had too.

Now if Gabby was a lightning mage like the thief thought she was, she would probably be in more trouble then being the mana booster that she really was. When she figured out that her abilities worked these creatures into a frenzy, she might figure out that all she had to do was send out a large general boost for the creatures to tear each other apart. But the creatures weren't what Solomon was going to use to kill Gabby.

Down in the alley behind the building he had entered with the bed sheet rope at his feet, Styx pressed his back to the wall of the building he had just left. Taking a deep breath, he concentrated and unlocked the floodgate of his power. His eyes shifted up to watch the windows of the of the building to make sure no one leaned out and saw him as he charged up his most devastating attack.

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 6:33 am

If a person understood nothing else about Elemental Chaos, then it was important to understand you were never really in control. Chaos didn't work like normal magic, you didn't direct it into an effect or even really take it into you. You instead took the energy and gave it a little nudge in the direction you wanted it to go. Which is why Solomon had no clue how his power worked, only how to do what he did. In the end, the thief didn't even know what his power or element was. And that by itself was enough to scare Styx when he used this ability. Temporal Chaos, the ability he was using, wasn't about power, it was about purity. The time he spent gathering energy wasn't taking more Chaos and mixing it with his aura, but surrounding a small piece of Chaos with his aura and manifesting it in it's purest form in the world. And then he had to let it go while standing right next to it.

He felt a brief pulse of power enter the spell he was holding and felt the Chaos build even faster in his hand for a split second. His entire forearm was covered in an aura that hurt the eyes to look upon. Not for brightness or anything like that, but the space and his arm in it seemed to warp into Non-euclidean forms even as he pushed more tiny pieces of pure Chaos into the building spell. He looked at the windows above and to the side of him as he awkwardly drew his pistol with his left hand. The best he could do with the thing left handed was to keep someone's head down probably.

Moving along the side of the building, Solomon reached the end of the alley where he peaked out into the street. Hundreds of Them were there clawing at the door and fighting with each other in an effort to get in. And then, they started killing each other. He hadn't seen these creatures enter a frenzy like that since... Well he had never seen them do something like this. Could that girl control magical beasts as well? Lightning, controlling magical beasts, that weird pulse thing that she did, was there an end to her different abilities?

Slipping a little further, he spotted a clear line he could use to bolt away after he cast this spell. Even he wasn't safe after the thing went off. The space he was standing in was only clear for about a second or two as the shifting flows of the spell moved the Temporal Whirls. And as he found his clear line to run, he found the edge of Gabby's boosting field. He staggered back away from it as the piece of pure Chaos he was forming in his hand suddenly leaped in size.

He swore as he realized this spell was going to be a lot bigger then he was use too. And that Gabby now had probably felt that it was ready and it was coming.

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Last edited by Gabriella Guinario on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Solomon felt that the energy was ready as he lifted his hand. Sweeping his arm, he saw what looked like threads of air hook onto his fingers. He didn't know what they were, but he gripped them tightly in his fist and gave them a twist. A piercing wail like the screams of the Damned ripped through the air, deafening the thief as he was trapped closest to the source of the sound. Whirling twisters of energy began to form and lash out in a circle around Solomon. The road, the buildings, them, anything and everything touched by the whirls began to decay and die. Now came the hard part.

Solomon spat blood as he started to bolt in the direction he had choose for his safe route. Even as he moved away the buildings he had been standing next to started to creak and groan as the Temporal Whirls destroyed load bearing supports were eaten away. He got maybe a hundred yards away while dodging around his own deadly magic before the building he and Gabby had started in collapsed with a ground shaking crash. The thief stumbled as he continued to run and other deserted buildings started to fall.

He barely made it to the edge of his spell's field and far enough away from the destruction that was raging in it before he collapsed on the ground. Panting and spitting out another glob of mucus and blood, Styx wriggled a finger in his ear as he tried to work the ringing out. The finger came away wet with blood, causing the thief sighed. He was going to have to get that fixed, hearing was important for a thief. There wasn't any pain yet, but considering how much adrenalin was pumping through his system right now he probably wouldn't feel that for a while.

{Shit, my body is thrashed. And I don't even know if I got her. Not that I'm in any condition to go after her. I'll get back to Delvin and tell him what happened. Then he can spread the word and if the bitch lives she will find out what its like to be the hunted.} Solomon stood unsteadily and started running again at the easy pace he had been using before. At least he could get cleaned up when he reached Delvin. And at least he would be getting 5k for this job.

It was a shitty thing to think about at a moment like this. But this night had so few comforts with the death of his friends and the possibility that that murderer had gotten away that he had to take comfort in something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In for a penny (open)   In for a penny (open) Empty

Back to top Go down

In for a penny (open)
Page 1 of 1